Here at the Shelby County Park Foundation, like many of you, we are wrapping up the end of the year and as we reflect…..we realized we really had a fantastic year and that was made possible by YOU!
- In January we began our ‘Dinks and Dunks’ Campaign. Along with the partnerships from USTA, Shelby County School System, Torrey Smith Realtor Agency, Candleberry Candles, The Shannon Foundation and the many ‘friends’ we made, by June we met our goal of $35,000 to complete that project!! Summer time and early Fall we were able to resurfaced the tennis courts, basketball courts and created a brand new outdoor Pickleball Courts!
- Throughout the year, The Greenway Trail had normal maintenance given (clearing trees, clearing walking paths, etc), many volunteers and hours were donated to make this possible!
- We facilitated the building, painting and installation of over 30 bird houses (with the help of many local families) and hung throughout Shelby Lake and the Greenway Trail.
- We created and implemented a scavenger hunt for our local youth to discover the trails in a new way!
- We hosted a Great ID Hike at Shelby Trails, with Sara Huffman from the Kentucky Division of Forestry, leading the way.
- The Historic Markers (Duanne Puckett created) and signs for the Duanne Puckett Pavilion were installed throughout the trail and at the Pavillion.
We hope you all feel proud of all the accomplishments you have contributed to our community in 2021.
To prepare for 2022, we hope that if you haven’t already, please consider becoming a 2022 member of our Friends of the Park program. Your annual contribution allows more resources to be applied for additional services, projects and enhancements to our community. We are excited about the new year and hope you are too!
If you haven’t already made your 2022 ‘Friends’ commitment, we would love you to continue that commitment to improvement of our Parks and our community.
Here is the link to our Friends sign up, don’t forget there is an option now to make your contribution annual!
Have a warm and safe New Year and we will see you at the park!
Jeanne Burnett, Parks Foundation Board Member